Skip to main content

Glorious vision to behold

Week 31, Chapter 11 shloka 15-31

Having been witnessed a tremendous universal form of Shri Krishna, Arjuna trembling in awe and wonder thus describes gloriously all that he could see and behold.

In the next shlokas (15-31) Arjuna sings the glory of the universal Form of Krishna – all that he saw and all that he beholds. Again, in the beautiful words of Juan Mascaro;

I see in thee all the gods, and the infinity of the beings of thy creation. I see god Brahma on his throne of lotus, and all the seers and serpents of light.

All-around I behold thy Infinity: the power of thy innumerable arms, the visions from thy innumerable eyes, the words from thy innumerable mouths, and the fire of life of thy innumerable bodies. Nowhere I see a beginning or middle or end of thee, O God of all, form infinite!

I see the splendour of an infinite beauty that illumines the whole universe. It is thee! With thy crown and sceptre and circle. How difficult thou art to see! But I see thee: as fire, as the sun, blinding, incomprehensible.

Thou art the Imperishable, the highest End of knowledge, the support of this vast universe. Thou, the everlasting ruler of the law of righteousness, the Spirit who is and who was at the beginning.

I see thee without beginning, middle, or end; I behold thy infinite power, the power of thy innumerable arms. I see thine eyes as the sun and the moon. And I see thy face as a sacred fire that gives light and life to the whole universe in the splendour of a vast offering.

Heaven and earth and all the infinite spaces are filled with thy Spirit; and before the wonder of thy fearful majesty the three worlds tremble.

The hosts of the gods come to thee and, joining palms in awe and wonder, they praise and adore. Sages and saints come to thee and praise thee with songs of glory.

The Rudras of destruction, the Vasus of fire, the Sadhyas of prayers, the Adityas of the sun; the lesser gods Visve-Devas, the two Asvins charioteers of heaven, the Maruts of winds and storms, the Ushmapas spirits of ancestors; the celestial choirs of Gandharvas, the Yakshas keepers of wealth, the demons of hell and the Siddhas who on earth reached perfection: they all behold thee with awe and wonder.

But the worlds also behold thy fearful mighty form, with many mouths and eyes, with many bellies, thighs and feet, frightening with terrible teeth: they tremble in fear, and I also tremble.

When I see thy vast form, reaching the sky, burning with many colours, with wide open mouths, with vast flaming eyes, my heart shakes in terror: my power is gone and gone is my peace, O Vishnu!

Like the fire at the end of Time which burns all in the last day, I see thy vast mouths and thy terrible teeth. Where am I? where is my shelter? Have mercy on me, God of gods, Refuge Supreme of the world!

The sons of Dhritarashtra, all of them, with other princes of this earth, and Bhishma and Drona and great Karna, and also the greatest warriors of our host, all enter rushing into thy mouths, terror-inspiring with their fearful fangs. Some are caught between them, and their heads crushed into powder.

As roaring torrents of waters rush forward into the ocean, so do these heroes of our mortal world rush into thy flaming mouths.

And as moths swiftly rushing enter a burning flame and die, so all these men rush to thy fire, rush fast to their own destruction.

The flames of thy mouths devour all the worlds. Thy glory fills the whole universe. But how terrible thy splendours burn!

Reveal thyself to me! Who art thou in this form of terror? I adore thee, O god supreme: be gracious unto me. I yearn to know thee, who art from the beginning: for I understood not thy mysterious works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 , Chapter 1(Slokas 15 -28) Chants

Welcome to week 2 Chantings  , while we are in week 4 of our Journey I have been catching up to deliver  on weekly recitations but that is how it is when you work as team there are feedbacks that  helps to improve the quality of your work and it come at a cost in this case time. In a world driven by technology where collaboration happen virtually the innovation is limited or I would say we still  need to figure out how we collaborate ideas virtually as we prepare for the future and still bring in the innovation with team work. I guess the initial hurdles are more or less over and you would all expect intime delivery of weekly Chants. Happy Chanting and do provide your feedback .With Love & Care 

Getting Started

  Getting started on reading/studying, Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta led me to a list of Geetas translated in Hindi/English by different authors. This was very surprising for me as I wonder…the book that carries the message of Shri Krishna—and that attracts thousands of seekers, is translated again and again and again…only to confuse seekers like me…who will spend a few days wondering and figuring out which one to follow? Another thing is, all the translations are titled—"Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta- As it is”—whereas they all differ somewhere in translations obviously because of interpretations by different authors. I even ordered one copy of Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta by a certain author and I also decided to get one “Gyaneshwari”--   the very first translation of the holy book by a much-celebrated saint of the 13 th century- Shri Gyaneshwara. Since I was exposed to his life story in my childhood and I have always been very fond of this yogi child …who translated Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta at the a

Ananya Bhakti (the singularity)

Week 32, Chapter 11, Shloka 32-55 Tremendous form of Krishna, as seen by Arjuna shows everything and every one of the mortal world rushing towards the fire-filled mouth of Shri Krishna- like the moths rushing towards the fire are consumed by the fire, the same way Arjuna can see the warriors of the mortal world and the army of the battlefield rushing towards the tremendous fire of destruction in the mouth of Krishna. Having been witnessed this universal form, trembling with fear, Arjuna requests Krishna to return back to his gentle human form. Says Krishna— The universal form that you saw cannot be attained by studying Vedas or scriptures…nor by charity, penance, sacrifices can the universal form be attained. भक्त्या त्वनन्यया शक्य अहमेवंविधोऽर्जुन | ज्ञातुं द्रष्टुं च तत्त्वेन प्रवेष्टुं च परन्तप || 54 || bhaktyā tv ananyayā śhakya aham eva ṁ -vidho ’ rjuna j ñā tu ṁ dra ṣ h ṭ u ṁ cha tattvena prave ṣ h ṭ u ṁ cha parantapa The only way to attain my universal form is